One of the oldest historical Black colleges and universities in the state, Florida Memorial University, recently held an alumni fellowship gathering hosted by the National Alumni Association where representatives presented an official Charter for the Jacksonville Alumni Chapter.
The meeting included the introduction and installation of new board members with the oath administered by National President Margret Porter Hall. The Jacksonville Chapter accepted the charge and closing remarks were made by newly elected President, Delaney F. Williams.
The university was founded in 1879 as the Florida Baptist Institute in Live Oak, Florida. Nathan W. Collier, President of Florida Baptist Institute, and Sarah Ann Blocker, of Florida Baptist Academy, combined the two institutions to found Florida Normal and Technical Institute in 1896. In 1941, the Live Oak and St. Augustine institutions merged, changing their limited offerings from a junior college classification to a four-year liberal arts institution which graduated its first four-year class in 1945. Its name was changed in 1950 to Florida Normal and Industrial Memorial College. In 1963, the charter was again amended to change the name to Florida Memorial College. Florida Memorial College celebrated its 100th anniversary in 1979.
The local alumni association will meet every 3rd Tuesday of every month at 6 p.m. Pictured are chapter charter alumni, members and officers: Margaret Forbes, Babara Singleton, Janice Whitty (Southern Regional Vice President), Nathaniel Washington (President Emeritus), Delany Williams (President), Margaret Porter-Hall (National Alumni President, Beverly Oglesby (Lifetime Member), Debra Norman (Secretary), Clarisse Wrigh (Assistant Treasurer) and Robert Tutson.