Attorney, Andreas Study from the law offices of Farah & Farah answered some questions on Hurricane/Property Insurance Awareness:
Hurricane/Property Insurance Interview Questions:
1. Is hurricane preparedness effective if used according to state regulations? Preparedness is essential to family and home safety during hurricane season. NOAA provides preparedness guides online at https://www.noaa.gov/hurricane-prep
2. How many hurricanes do we usually get in a year? According to NOAA, we average about 14 named storms, 7 hurricanes, and 3 major hurricanes each season. https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/climo/#:~:text=Based%20on%20a%2030%2Dyear,%2DSimpson%20Hurricane%20Wind%20Scale).
3. What questions should you ask when purchasing or renewing property insurance? You want to know if you have an H03 insurance policy. An H03 offers broad coverage. Do you have multiple deductibles? A new law allows an insurance company to sell you a policy with a separate roof deductible. Are there any water damage caps? I have found that most $10,000.00 water damage caps are inadequate. Avoid an insurance policy with an option to repair or right to repair. This type of insurance policy gives the insurance company control over who performs repairs in your home.
4. What’s the #1 reason claims are denied or approved? Claims that are poorly documented are less likely to receive coverage. A well-documented claim is the first step to success. Photographs are essential.
5. If denied a claim, what steps should you take? Speak with an attorney who deals with homeowners insurance claims. Your claim could have been wrongfully denied.
For more info click on link below: